Place:


Hinxworth  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hinxworth like this:

HINXWORTH, a village and a parish in Royston district, Herts. The village stands near the boundary with Beds and Cambridge, 4 miles N of Baldock r. station. The parish comprises 1, 440 acres. Post town, Baldock. Real property, £2, 434. Pop., 320. Houses, 64. The property is divided among a few. Roman antiquities have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Trustees of the Rev. J. Lafont. The church consists of nave, chancel, and porch, with low tower and spire; and is good. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Hinxworth through time

Hinxworth is now part of North Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hinxworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hinxworth in North Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3145

Date accessed: 18th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hinxworth ".