Place:


Bengeo  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bengeo like this:

BENGEO, a parish in the district and county of Hertford; on the river Rib, and on Ermine-street, adjacent to the Hertfordshire railway, 1 mile N of Hertford, and partly within Hertford borough. Post Town, Hertford. Acres, 3,047. Real property, £8,150. Pop., 1,791. Houses, 355. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £620.* Patron, A. Smith, Esq. There are an old church now disused, a new church built in 1855, two chapels of ease, a Calvinistic chapel, three national schools, a reformatory, four alms-houses, and other charities £45.

Bengeo through time

Bengeo is now part of East Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bengeo itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bengeo in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3142

Date accessed: 19th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bengeo ".