Place:


Hambleton  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hambleton like this:

HAMBLETON, a village and a parish in Oakham district, Rutland. The village stands on an eminence, near the river Gwash, 3 miles NE by N of Manton r. station, and 3 ESE of Oakham; is said to have had three churches at the Conquest; was once a market town; and has a post office under Oakham. The parish comprises 1, 154 acres. ...


Real property, £, 694. Pop., 323. Houses, 64. The manor belonged to Editha, wife of the Confessor; passed to the Badlesmeres; and belongs now to George Finch, Esq. Hambleton Hall was a Tudor mansion, and became a farm house. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Braunston, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £180. * Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church is chiefly early English, with later English clerestory; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a square tower; and is in good condition. There is a national school.

Hambleton through time

Hambleton is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hambleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hambleton in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3090

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hambleton ".