Place:


Rampton  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rampton like this:

RAMPTON, a parish in Chesterton district, Cambridgeshire; on an affluent of the river Ouse, 1½ mile E N E of Long Stanton r. station, and 7 N by W of Cambridge. Post-town, Cottenham, under Cambridge. Acres, 1, 312. Real property, £1, 966. Pop., 240. Houses, 50. The manor belongs to H. Effingham, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £342.* Patron, the Rev. F. Strong. The church is a rubble building, with a tower. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £20.

Rampton through time

Rampton is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rampton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rampton in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3067

Date accessed: 23rd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rampton ".