Place:


North Luffenham  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Luffenham like this:

LUFFENHAM (NORTH), a village and a parish in Uppingham district, Rutland. The village stands near the river Chater, *hr. of a mile NW of Luffenham r. station, and 6½ SW of Stamford; and has a post office under Stamford. The parish comprises 1,999 acres. Real property, £3,096. Pop., 491. ...


Houses, 103. The property is divided among a few. The manor and much of the land belong to Lord Aveland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £624.* Patron, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church is good; has a tower and spire; and contains a brass of Archdeacon Johnson, founder of the Oakham and Uppingham grammar schools. Charities, £131; a portion of which goes to a parochial school.

North Luffenham through time

North Luffenham is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Luffenham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Luffenham in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3047

Date accessed: 16th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Luffenham ".