Place:


Sarratt  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sarratt like this:

SARRATT, a parish, with a village, in Watford district, Herts; on the river Chess, 3½ miles N N W of Rick-mansworth r. station. It has a postal pillar-box under Rickmansworth, Herts. Acres, 1, 550. Real property, £3,070. Pop. in 1851, 613; in 1861, 736. Houses, 142. The property is divided among a few. ...


S. Hall, S. Villa, and Goldington House are chief residences. The making of fancy trimming is carried on; and there is a paper mill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £243.* Patrons, the Executors of the late J. A. Gordon, Esq. The church is ancient and cruciform; was restored in 1866; and was then found toinclude some Roman bricks. The churchyard also wasfound to contain Roman cinerary urns. There are a Baptist chapel, and alms-houses with £21 a year.

Sarratt through time

Sarratt is now part of Three Rivers district. Click here for graphs and data of how Three Rivers has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sarratt itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sarratt, in Three Rivers and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3039

Date accessed: 16th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sarratt ".