Place:


Aldbury  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aldbury like this:

ALDBURY, a parish in Berkhampstead district, Herts; under the Chiltern hills, 1 mile E of Tring r. station, and 3¼ NNE of Berkhampstead. It has a post office under Tring. Acres, 2,071. Real property, £2,902. Pop., 848. Houses, 179. The manor was possessed by the Verneys, the Andersons, and the Hydes; and now belongs to the Duke of Leeds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £448.* Patron, Earl Brownlow. The church is early English, with a square embattled tower; and contains some ancient tombs. Charities, £26 and poors' cottages.

Aldbury through time

Aldbury is now part of Dacorum district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dacorum has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aldbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aldbury, in Dacorum and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3038

Date accessed: 25th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aldbury ".