Place:


Kirby Bedon  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirby Bedon like this:

KIRBY-BEDON, a parish, with a village, in Henstead district, Norfolk; near the river Yare, 3 miles SE of Norwich r. station. Post town, Norwich. Acres, 1, 365. Real property, £3, 653. Pop., 277. Houses, 61. The property is divided among a few. The manor and most of the land belong to R. Harvey, Esq. ...


The Hall was an ancient mansion; and only the kitchens of it now remain. The parish comprises two ancient parishes, St. Andrew and St. Mary. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £250.* Patron, not reported. St. Andrew's church stands on an eminence; is a low square structure, with thatched roof; has a tower, of flint below, of wood above; and contains an ancient sculpture, and monuments of the Brookes. A fine marble monument of Charles Weston, Esq., and a recently erected mausoleum of the Harveys, are in the churchyard. St. Mary's church is now an ivy clad ruin.

Kirby Bedon through time

Kirby Bedon is now part of South Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirby Bedon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirby Bedon in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3031

Date accessed: 26th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirby Bedon ".