Place:


Walford  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walford like this:

WALFORD, a parish, with a village, in Ross district, Hereford: on the river Wye, 3 miles SSW of Ross r. station. It has a post-office under Ross. Acres, 4,241. Real property, £7,474. Pop., 1,204. Houses, 280. The property is much subdivided. There are several handsome seats. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is Norman, and was recently in very bad condition. The p. curacy of Bishopswood is a separate benefice. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and charities £55.

Walford through time

Walford is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Walford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walford in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3003

Date accessed: 13th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Walford".