Place:


Longstock  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longstock like this:

LONGSTOCK, a parish in Stockbridge district, Hants; on the river Test or Anton, and on the Andover railway, 1 mile N of Stockbridge. It has a post office under Winchester. Acres, 2,962. Real property, £3,393. Pop., 445. Houses, 104. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lady Barker Mill. An eminence here is called Longstock hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £315.* Patron, Lady B. Mill. The church is ancient, and was repaired in 1846. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities £15.

Longstock through time

Longstock is now part of Test Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Test Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Longstock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longstock, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2995

Date accessed: 16th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Longstock ".