Place:


Edith Weston  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Edith Weston like this:

EDITH-WESTON, or Edweston, a parish in Oakham district, Rutland; on the river Gwash, 1¾ mile NNW of Luffenham r. station, and 5½ SE by E of Oakham. Post town, Hambleton, under Oakham. Acres, 1, 723. Real property, £3, 371. Pop., 387. Houses, 85. The property is divided among a few. ...


An alien benedictine priory, a cell to St. George's Banquerville, stood here; was given to the Charterhouse, Coventry; and passed to the Comptons and the Herberts. Edith-Weston House is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £155. Patron, R. Lucas, Esq. The church has a light Gothic spire; and is ancient, but very good.

Edith Weston through time

Edith Weston is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Edith Weston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Edith Weston in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2969

Date accessed: 28th July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Edith Weston ".