Place:


Great Gaddesden  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Gaddesden like this:

GADDESDEN (Great), a village and a parish in Hemet Hempstead district, Herts. The village stands on the river Gade, 3 miles N E of Berkhampstead r. station, and 3¼ NW of Hemel Hempstead; takes its name from the river Gade; and was known at Domesday as Gadesdene. The parish includes also the hamlet of Gaddesden Row; and its post town is Little Gaddesden, under Hemel-Hempstead. ...


Acres, 4, 074. Real property, £5, 991. Pop., 1, 147. Houses, 224. The property is divided among a few. The manor was given by Edmund, Duke of Cornwall, to Ashridge college; and passed to the Egertons. Gaddesden Place and Gaddesden Park are chief residences; and the former is the seat of Mrs. Halsley. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £220. Patron, Mrs. Halsley. The church is Norman, with a modern tower; was recently restored; and contains monuments to the Egertons and the Halsleys. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and charities £36.

Great Gaddesden through time

Great Gaddesden is now part of Dacorum district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dacorum has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Gaddesden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Gaddesden, in Dacorum and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2968

Date accessed: 25th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Gaddesden ".