Place:


Castlebar  County Mayo

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Castlebar like this:

Castlebar, cap. of the co., assize and market town, and township, Aglish par., mid. co. Mayo, on river Castlebar, at head of Lough Castlebar or Lanach, 29 miles S. of Ballina and 152 miles NW. of Dublin by rail -- township, 957 ac., pop. 3855; 2 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. It has a good market for agricultural produce, and large military barracks. Castlebar was held for a short time by the French, after their landing at Killala Bay in 1798. To the SW. is Castlebar House, seat of the Earl of Lucan.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Castlebar, in and County Mayo | Map and description, A Vision of Ireland through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofireland.org/place/29515

Date accessed: 24th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Ireland through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Castlebar".