Place:


Londonderry  County Londonderry

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Londonderry like this:

Londonderry (or Derry), city, seaport, and parl. bor., Clondermot and Templemore para., NW. co. Londonderry, on W. side of river Foyle, 163 miles NW. of Dublin and 95 miles NW. of Belfast by rail, 2164 ac., pop. 29,162; 3 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. ...


The city is situated on a hill (120 ft. high), called the "Island of Derry" (being nearly insulated by the winding of the river Foyle), and 5 miles above the point where the river expands into Lough Foyle. The suburb called Waterside stands on the opposite bank of the river, which is spanned by a beautiful iron bridge, 1200 ft. in length. The ancient walls of Londonderry still remain, and encompass the city for nearly a mile. A quadrangular area, called the Diamond, is situated in the centre of the city, from which 4 of the principal streets branch off and lead to the original gates. There are many fine public buildings, and the streets have a good appearance. The Magee Protestant College is 1 mile from the city; the Ebrington military barracks are at Clooney, Waterside. The trade of Londonderry is extensive and important, but the linen mfr. has declined since 1822. There are extensive shirt factories, 2 distilleries, several tanneries, iron foundries, corn and saw mills, and tobacco manufactories. Shipbuilding is carried on. The coasting trade of the port is very extensive. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) Butter, pork, eggs, cattle, and grain are shipped in large quantities to Glasgow, Liverpool, &c. Coal, timber, and foreign produce are largely imported. The steamers of the Allan and Anchor line call weekly at Moville, near the entrance of Lough Foyle, to receive mails, passengers, and goods for America, and also on the return voyage. The greatest depth of the Foyle is about 31 ft., and the depth at the quay is about 14 ft. at low water. The salmon fishery is considerable. The city, which arose from an abbey founded by St Columb about 546, was originally and is still popularly called Derry; it acquired the prefix London in 1613 when it received a charter of incorporation from James I. It has sustained several sieges, the severest being that of 1688-89, which lasted 105 days. This celebrated siege is commemorated by a monument erected in the city to the Rev. George Walker, who directed its affairs at that time. The diocese of Derry includes cos. Londonderry and Tyrone, together with parts of cos. Antrim and Donegal. The bor. returns 1 member to Parliament.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Londonderry, in and County Londonderry | Map and description, A Vision of Ireland through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofireland.org/place/29483

Date accessed: 24th February 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Ireland through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Londonderry".