Place:


Galway  County Galway

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Galway like this:

Galway, co. town of Galway, parl. bor., seaport, township, and co. of itself, at the influx of river Corrib into Galway Bay, 130 miles by rail W. of Dublin, 65 NW. of Limerick, and 20 S. of Tuam -- township, 5309 ac., pop. 15,471; parl. bor., 22,493 ac., pop. 19,171; 3 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. ...


The town has considerable trade, and exports-large quantities of corn, butter, and provisions. The haven is considered to be one of the best and safest on the Irish coast. A floating dock, having an area of 5 ac., admits ships of 500 tons burden. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) There are several corn mills, iron foundries, and yards for the cutting and polishing of marble. There is 1 distillery. The extensive herring and other fisheries give employment to a large population living chiefly in the suburb of Claddagh. Galway is the seat of one of the Queen's Colleges of Ireland. The bor. returns 1 member to Parliament (2 members till 1885).

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Galway, in and County Galway | Map and description, A Vision of Ireland through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofireland.org/place/29382

Date accessed: 14th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Ireland through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Galway".