Calstock  Cornwall


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Calstock like this:

CALSTOCK, a village and a parish in Liskeard district, Cornwall. The village stands on the river Tamar, near the Tavistock canal, 5½ miles WNW of Horrabridge r. station, and 6 SW of Tavistock; is a sub-port to Plymouth; and has a post office‡ under Tavistock, and an inn. The parish comprises 6,133 acres. ...

Real property, £14,233; of which £4,173 are in mines, £30 in quarries, and £50 in fisheries. Pop., 7,090. Houses, 1,377. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the duchy of Cornwall; Calstock House is an old mansion, the seat of the Earl of Mount-Edgcumbe; and Harewood House is the seat of Sir W. Trelawny, Bart. Porphyritic elvan, called Roborough stone, is quarried; granite abounds; and tin, copper, manganese, and lead ores have been mined. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £510.* Patron, the Prince of Wales. The church is a granite structure, with a lofty pinnacled tower; and contains the vault of the Edgcumbes, and monuments to Pearse Edgcumbe and the Countess of Sandwich There is a Baptist chapel. Blackburn, Archbishop of York, was rector.

Calstock through time

Calstock is now part of Caradon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Caradon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Calstock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Calstock, in Caradon and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 20th August 2022

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Calstock ".