Place:


Longstowe  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longstowe like this:

LONGSTOW, a parish and a hundred in Cambridge. The parish lies adjacent to Beds, ½ a mile N by W of Old North Road r. station, and two S by E of Caxton; and is in Caxton district. Post town, Caxton, under Royston. Acres, 1,412. Real property, £1,589. Pop., 264. Houses, 47. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor, with Longstow Hall, belongs to Sidney Stanley, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £350. * Patron, the Rev. J. Rushton. The church was rebuilt in 1864. Charities, £34, and eight cottages.-The hundred contains also thirteen other parishes. Acres, 25,500. Pop., 6,456. Houses, 1,283.

Longstowe through time

Longstowe is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Longstowe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longstowe in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2899

Date accessed: 28th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Longstowe ".