Downpatrick  County Down


In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Downpatrick like this:

Downpatrick, cap. of co., mkt. town, and seaport with ry. sta., in co. and par. of Down, on river Quoile, near its entrance to Lough Strangford, 27 miles SE. of Belfast and 140 miles NNE. of Dublin by rail, beautifully situated in a valley, 278 ac., pop. 3419; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. ...

Market-day, Saturday. D. is an ancient town, and is celebrated as the burial-place of Saint Patrick. It is the seat of the diocese of Down, which was united with Connor in 1441, and Dromore in 1842. The cathedral, though built of unhewn stone, is a stately edifice. The mfr. of sewed muslin gives employment to a number of the inhabitants of the town and district. The port is at Quoile Bay, 1 m. distant, and is reached by vessels of 100 tons; larger vessels discharge at the steamboat quay, which is nearer Lough Strangford. D. returned 1 member until 1885.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Downpatrick, in and County Down | Map and description, A Vision of Ireland through Time.


Date accessed: 14th June 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Ireland through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Downpatrick".