Place:


Martinsthorpe  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Martinsthorpe like this:

MARTINSTHORPE, a parish in Oakham district, Rutland; 1¼ mile NW of Manton r. station, and 3 S by E of Oakham. Post town, Oakham. Acres, 533. Rcal property, £980. Pop., 6. House, 1. The property belongs to W. De Capel Brooks, Esq. The living is a sinecure rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, not reported. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. 'The church is in ruins.

Martinsthorpe through time

Martinsthorpe is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Martinsthorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Martinsthorpe in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2812

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Martinsthorpe ".