Place:


Parsonstown  County Louth

 

In 1837, Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland described Parsonstown like this:

PARSONSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of FERRARD, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S. E.) from Dunleer; containing 257 inhabitants. It is situated on the eastern coast, and, according to the Ordnance survey, comprises 524 statute acres, some of which is good land, but the remainder consists of a cold tenacious clay. ...


It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, constituting part of the union of Dunany; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Drogheda: the tithes amount to £48. 12., of which £29. 7. is payable to the impropriator, and £19. 5. to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Rathdrummin, or Clogher.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Parsonstown, in and County Louth | Map and description, A Vision of Ireland through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofireland.org/place/28078

Date accessed: 19th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Ireland through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Parsonstown".