Place:


Elstree  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elstree like this:

ELSTREE, or Idlestree, a parish in the district of Barnet and county of Hertford; and a village partly in this parish and partly in the Middlesex parishes of Little Stanmore and Edgware. The village stands near the Midland railway, 3 miles NNW of Edgware; and has a Post office designated Elstree, Herts, and a railway station. ...


The parish comprises 1, 370 acres. Real property, £3, 761. Pop., 402. Houses, 83. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the abbey of St. Albans; and passed to the Denings, the Briscoes, and the Byngs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £304.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good and handsome; and has a modern tower and spire. The remains of William Weare, who was murdered in 1823 by Thurtell, Probert, and Hunt, lie in the churchyard. Charities, £28.

Elstree through time

Elstree is now part of Hertsmere district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hertsmere has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elstree itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elstree, in Hertsmere and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2807

Date accessed: 10th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elstree ".