Place:


Haggardstown  County Louth

 

In 1837, Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland described Haggardstown like this:

HAGGARDSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER DUNDALK, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S.) from Dundalk, on the road from Dublin to Belfast; containing, with the village of Blackrock, 1011 inhabitants. This parish comprises 1400 ¼ statute acres, according to the Ordnance survey, nearly the whole of which is very excellent land and under tillage. ...


It is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, entirely impropriate in T. Fortescue, Esq.: the tithes amount to £178. 16. 3 ½. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, also called Kilcurley, which comprises the parishes of Haggardstown, Heynstown, Ballybarrack, Philipstown, Dunbin, and part of Baronstown: a handsome chapel was erected here in 1833, and there is another at Baronstown. Here is a school of about 150 children; and there are some remains of the old church and also of an ancient castle.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haggardstown, in and County Louth | Map and description, A Vision of Ireland through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofireland.org/place/28062

Date accessed: 17th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Ireland through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Haggardstown".