Place:


Tormoham  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tormoham like this:

TOR-MOHAM, or Tor-Mohun, a parish in Newton-Abbot district, Devon; statistically identical with Torquay town. Acres, 1,560. Real property, £83,254; of which £851 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 11,474; in 1861, 16,419. Houses, 2,183 The increase of pop. arose from improvements by land-proprietors, and from advantages afforded for erection of houses. ...


The manor belonged to the Mohuns, passed to the Ridgways and the Carys; and belongs now to Sir L. Palk, Bart. Tor abbey was founded in the time of Henry II., by W. de Briwere, for Premonstratensian monks; possessed very rich revenues; was given, at the dissolution, to the Carys; underwent changes and additions, transmuting it into a mansion; and is still represented by considerable portions of the transmuted building, and by an interesting gateway. The living is a p. curacy, united with Cockington, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £190. Patron, C H. Mallock, Esq. The church stands about a mile W of Torquay, and is ancient. The rectory of Upton, and the p. curacies of Torquay-St. John, Torquay-Trinity, Torquay-St. Luke, and Torwood are separate benefices. See Torquay and Torwood.

Tormoham through time

Tormoham is now part of Torbay district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torbay has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tormoham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tormoham, in Torbay and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2798

Date accessed: 04th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tormoham ".