Place:


Bishops Frome  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishops Frome like this:

BISHOPS-FROME, a township and a subdistrict in Bromyard district, and a parish in Bromyard and Ledbury districts, Hereford. The township lies on the river Frome, 4 miles S of Bromyard, and 5½ N of Ashperton r. station; and has a post office under Worcester. Real property, £2,329. The parish includes also the townships of Hailmonds-Frome, Leadon, Walton, StanfordRegis, and Eggleton. ...


Acres, 4,550. Real property, £11,367. Pop., 1,014. Houses, 215. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £608.* Patron, the Rev. J Hopton. The church was built in 1862; is in the Nor man style; and consists of nave, chancel, north aisle, and vestry, with a tower.-The subdistrict contains seven parishes and the greater part of another. Acres, 22,305. Pop., 4,439. Houses, 941.

Bishops Frome through time

Bishops Frome is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bishops Frome itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishops Frome in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2796

Date accessed: 28th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bishops Frome ".