Place:


Sligo  County Sligo

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Sligo like this:

Sligo, market and seaport town, mun. bor., and co. town of Sligo with ry. sta., St John's and Calry pars., on Sligo Bay, 48 miles W. of Enniskillen and 134 miles NW. of Dublin by rail, 3001 ac., pop. 10,808, 3 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-days, Tuesday and Saturday. The town is finely situated on the banks of the Garrogue, a stream which runs from Lough Gill to Sligo Bay, and the surrounding scenery is beautiful and romantic. ...


The old castle of Sligo was destroyed in 1277, and the abbey, situated near the town, is now an interesting ruin. Sligo is the most important seaport in the NW. of Ireland, and has large exports of live-stock, grain, butter, eggs, and pork. Steamers ply regularly between this port and Glasgow and Liverpool. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) There are extensive flour and corn mills, sawmills, a brewery, &c. Sligo is the headquarters of a very extensive fishery district. It gives the title of marquis to the family of Browne.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sligo, in and County Sligo | Map and description, A Vision of Ireland through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofireland.org/place/27665

Date accessed: 22nd February 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Ireland through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sligo".