Place:


Withington  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Withington like this:

WITHINGTON, a parish, with W. village and Preston-Wynne chapelry, in the district and county of Hereford; on the Hereford and Worcester railway, 4½ miles NE by E of Hereford. It has a post-office under Hereford, and a r. station. Acres, 2,392. Real property, £5,646. Pop., 970. Houses, 204. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £400.* Patron, the Bishop of H. The church was repaired in 1859, and has a tower and spire. There are a Baptist chapel, and an endowed school with £14 a year.

Withington through time

Withington is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Withington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Withington in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2723

Date accessed: 18th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Withington".