Place:


Burstow  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burstow like this:

BURSTOW, a parish in Reigate district, Surrey; 2¼ miles SE of Horley r. station, and 7½ SE by S of Reigate. It has a post office under Crawley. Acres, 4,717. Real property, £4,265. Pop., 927. Houses, 151. The property is subdivided. Burstow Lodge, formerly called Coultings, and now a farmhouse, was the seat of the Burstows, and passed to the Byshes. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £511.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English and good. There is a Baptist chapel. Flamstead, the first astronomer royal, was rector.

Burstow through time

Burstow is now part of Tandridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tandridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burstow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burstow, in Tandridge and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2717

Date accessed: 09th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burstow ".