Place:


Monknewtown  County Meath

 

In 1837, Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland described Monknewtown like this:

MONKNEWTOWN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER SLANE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 ½ miles (E. by N.) from Slane, on the road to Drogheda; containing 700 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south by the river Boyne, and on the north-east it is separated by the Mattock from the parish of Tulloghallen, in the county of Louth, of which, in the ecclesiastical divisions, it is considered to form a part. ...


The land is in general of excellent quality, and is nearly equally divided between tillage and pasture; the pasture land in the vicinity of New Grange, the residence of R. Maguire, Esq., is of the very best description. On the river Mattock is an extensive flour-mill, partly propelled by steam; and the canal from Drogheda to Navan passes through the southern part of the parish. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Grangegeeth: the chapel, a neat structure, is near the ruins of the ancient church. About 30 children are educated in a private school. At New Grange is a remarkable vestige of antiquity, consisting of a mound surrounded by a circle of upright stones, and in which is a vaulted cave in the form of a cross: it is fully described in the article on Slane.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Monknewtown, in and County Meath | Map and description, A Vision of Ireland through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofireland.org/place/27161

Date accessed: 25th February 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Ireland through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Monknewtown".