Place:


Staxigoe  Caithness

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Staxigoe like this:

Staxigoe, a fishing village in Wick parish, Caithness, 2¼ miles NE of Wick town. A place of some antiquity, it retains, in a state of tolerable preservation, two store houses which were used by the Earls of Caithness for the reception of grain, in the times when rents were paid in kind; and has a public school and a fairly good natural boat harbour.

Additional information about this locality is available for Wick

Staxigoe through time

Staxigoe is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Staxigoe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Staxigoe, in Highland and Caithness | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/27069

Date accessed: 23rd April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Staxigoe".