Place:


Churston Ferrers  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Churston Ferrers like this:

CHURSTON-FERRERS, a village and a parish in Totnes district, Devon. The village stands on the coast, near the Torquay and Dartmouth railway, 5 miles S of Torquay; has a railway station; and gives the title of Baron to the family of Yarde Buller. The parish includes also the hamlet of Galmpton; and its post town is Brixham, South Devon. ...


Acres, 2, 777; of which 250 are water. Real property, £3, 498. Pop., 766. Houses, 145. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to the Ferrers; passed to the Yardes and the Bullers; and belongs now to Lord Churston of Churston-Ferrers, who was raised to the peerage in 1858. Churston Court is the seat of Lord Churston; and Galmpton House is the seat of the Luttrells. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Brixham, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is an ancient edifice, with a low tower There is a small Independent chapel at Galmpton. Charities, £6.

Churston Ferrers through time

Churston Ferrers is now part of Torbay district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torbay has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Churston Ferrers itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Churston Ferrers, in Torbay and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2706

Date accessed: 28th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Churston Ferrers ".