Rosyth  Fife


In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Rosyth like this:

Rosyth Castle, a ruin on the coast of Inverkeithing parish, Fife, 1¾ mile NW of North Queensferry. It stands on a small sea-rock, connected by a causeway with the mainland, but surrounded at high water by the tide; and is a square, thick-walled tower of considerable height, somewhat resembling a Norman keep. ...

ver its main entrance on the N side is the date 1561, with the initials M. R. (Maria Regina). A large mullioned window on the E side is dated 1655, when the damage was repaired of Cromwell's men four years before. And on the S side is this quaint inscription:-

In dev tym dra yis cord ye bel to clink
Qvais mery voce warnis to mete and drink.

Rosyth Castle is said to have been the birthplace of Oliver Cromwell's mother, a tradition noticed by the Queen under date 6 Sept. 1842; and it figures in Scott's novel of The Abbot. The barony of Rosyth was purchased by Sir David Stewart about 1435, and remained with his descendants till about the beginning of last century. It was then sold to the Earl of Rosebery, but belongs now to the Earl of Hopetoun.—Ord. Sur., sh. 32, 1857. See vol. ii. of Grose's Antiquities of Scotland 1791).

Additional information about this locality is available for Dunfermline

Rosyth through time

Rosyth is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rosyth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rosyth in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 25th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Rosyth".