Place:


Camstradden  Dunbartonshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Camstradden like this:

Camstradden, a bay in Luss parish, Dumbartonshire, on the W side of Loch Lomond, opposite the N end of Inchtaavanich, ¾ mile S of Luss village. An island was formerly in it, containing the ancient residence of a branch of the Colquhoun family; but is now represented by only a heap of stones, visible only when the water of the lake is low. Camstradden House, adjacent to the bay, is the residence of Sir James Colquhoun's factor. Excellent roofing slates are quarried in the western vicinity, and are exported from a wharf on the bay.

Additional information about this locality is available for Luss

Camstradden through time

Camstradden is now part of Argyll and Bute district. Click here for graphs and data of how Argyll and Bute has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Camstradden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Camstradden, in Argyll and Bute and Dunbartonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/27007

Date accessed: 02nd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Camstradden ".