Place:


South Brent  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Brent like this:

BRENT (South), a village and a parish in Totnes district, Devon. The village stands on the river Avon, adjacent to the South Devon railway, 6 miles W of Totnes; and has a station, of the name of Brent, on the railway, and a post office, of the same name, under Ivy Bridge. It was formerly a market-town; and it still has large fairs on the last Tuesday of April and Sept.—The parish comprises 9,374 acres. ...


Real property, £8,445. Pop., 1,205. Houses, 249. The property is much divided. The manor once belonged to the abbot of Buckfastleigh; but has been dismembered. The surface is diversified; and includes the striking eminence of South Brent-Tor. Micaceous iron-ore, used for the sanding of manuscript, is found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £822.* Patron, the Rev. N. Cole. The church is old and large; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles; and has a Norman tower. There are chapels for Independents and Baptists; parish lands, yielding £114 a year; and other charities £25.

South Brent through time

South Brent is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Brent itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Brent, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2692

Date accessed: 26th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Brent ".