Fraoch Eilean  Argyll


In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Fraoch Eilean like this:

Fraoch Eilean, a small island in Loch Awe, Argyllshire, 2½ miles SW of Kilchurn Castle and ½ mile NE of Inishail. The hero Fraoch, going to gather its serpent-guarded apples, which the fair Mego longed for, slew and was slain by the monster—a legend which recalls the classic myth of the Hesperides, and which forms the theme of an ancient Gaelic poem, translated about 1770 by the Rev. ...

Dr John Smith. In 1267 the islet was granted by Alexander III. to Gilbert Macnaughton; and it contains the ruins of a strong fortalice, in which the Macnaughton chieftains resided.—Ord. Sur., sh. 45, 1876.

Additional information about this locality is available for Glenorchy

Fraoch Eilean through time

Fraoch Eilean is now part of Argyll and Bute district. Click here for graphs and data of how Argyll and Bute has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fraoch Eilean itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fraoch Eilean in Argyll and Bute | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 25th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Fraoch Eilean".