Place:


Melvich  Sutherland

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Melvich like this:

Melvich, a scattered village in Reay parish, Sutherland, on the left side of the mouth of the Halladale, near the head of a small bay, 17 miles W by S of Thurso. It has a post and telegraph office under Thurso, a good inn, and a public school. Immediately NNW is the fishing-village of Portskerra. Pop. of the two villages (1871) 414, (1881) 646, of whom 259 were in Melvich.—Ord. Sur., sh. 115, 1878.

Additional information about this locality is available for Farr

Melvich through time

Melvich is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Melvich itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Melvich, in Highland and Sutherland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26873

Date accessed: 15th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Melvich".