Place:


Glass  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Glass like this:

Glass, a river of Kiltarlity and Kilmorack parishes, N Inverness-shire, formed, 2¾ miles SW of Glenaffric Hotel, by the confluence of the river Affric and the Amhuinn Deabhaidh. Thence it winds 12 miles north-eastward along wooded Strathglass till, near Erchless Castle, it unites with the Farrar to form the river Beauly. During this course it descends from 250 to 160 feet above sea-level, and is a fine fishing stream for salmon and trout, the latter running up to 4 lbs.—Ord. Sur., shs. 73, 83, 1878-81.

Glass through time

Glass is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Glass itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Glass, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26862

Date accessed: 19th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Glass".