Place:


Armadale  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Armadale like this:

Armadale, a fishing village, a bay, and a burn, in Farr parish, NE Sutherland. The village stands to the W of the bay, at 200 feet of elevation, and has a post office under Thurso, 23 miles to the E by N. The bay, flanked eastward by Strathy Point, is 2½ miles wide and 13/8 mile long, its innermost indentation being ¾ mile long, and from 5 to 3½ furlongs wide, and it is one of the few points in all the rock-bound coast of Farr where boats may land in moderate weather. ...


The burn runs 5 miles NNE and NNW from Loch Buidhe Mòr to the head of the bay.

Additional information about this locality is available for Sleat

Armadale through time

Armadale is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Armadale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Armadale, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26291

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Armadale ".