Place:


Santon  the Isle of Man

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Santon like this:

KIRK-ST. ANN, or KIRK SANTON, a parish in the S of the Isle of Man; 3¾ miles SE of Castletown. It has a post office, of the name of St. Ann's, under Douglas, Isle of Man. Its extent, along the coast, is 3¾ miles; and inland, 4¾ miles. Pop., 693. Houses, 116. Two eminences, near the coast, have altitudes of 306 and 392 feet; and Mount Murray, in the extreme N, has an altitude of 714 feet. ...


A stone circle is on one of the coast eminences, at a height of 300 feet above; and commands a fine view of the southern section of the island. Another stone circle is 1½ mile further NE. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Sodor and Man. Value, £150.* Patron, the Crown. A great stone, in the churchyard, covers the graves of six clergymen of the name of Cosnahan, four of whom were successive vicars of the parish; and a fine granite tombstone covers the grave of a student of King William's college, who was killed by a fall over a neighbouring sea c1iff. A Norman font, removed from the church, is in the parsonage garden; and an inscribed stone, with old Teutonic characters, said to have been taken from the old church, is inserted as a doorway lintel in a neighbouring outhouse.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Santon, in and the Isle of Man | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26278

Date accessed: 15th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Santon".