Place:


Tittenhanger  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tittenhanger like this:

TITTENHANGER, a hamlet in St. Peter parish, Herts; 3 miles ESE of St. Albans. Pop. in 1851, 485; in 1861, 620. Houses, 133. T. Park belonged to the Blounts, and passed to Earl Hardwicke. A seat of the abbots of St. Albans was here; and was given, by Henry VIII., to Sir T. Pope, the founder of Trinity college, Oxford.

Additional information about this locality is available for St Albans

Tittenhanger through time

Tittenhanger is now part of St Albans district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Albans has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tittenhanger itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tittenhanger, in St Albans and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26105

Date accessed: 06th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tittenhanger ".