Place:


Eastbury  Dorset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eastbury like this:

EASTBURY, a tything in Tarrant-Gunville parish, Dorset; 5¼ miles NNE of Blandford-Forum. Eastbury Park here belonged to George Bubb Dodington, afterwards Lord Melcombe; passed to Earl Temple; and now belongs to J. J. Farquharson, Esq. A mansion, after designs by Vanbrngh, was erected on it, by Dodington, at a cost of £140, 000; was visited by several distinguished literati, as frequent guests; was sung by the poets Thomson and Young; and was demolished, on account of the cost of keeping it in repair, by Earl Temple.

Additional information about this locality is available for Tarrant Gunville

Eastbury through time

Eastbury is now part of North Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eastbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eastbury in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26092

Date accessed: 23rd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eastbury ".