Place:


Upper Hopton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upper Hopton like this:

HOPTON, a village in Mirfield parish, and a chapelry partly also in Kirkheaton parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Calder, near the Manchester and Leeds railway, 3 miles NE of Huddersfield; and has a post office under Normanton. -The chapelry was constituted in 1860. Pop., 1, 211. Houses, 238. Pop. of the Mirfield portion, 696. Houses, 139. The woollen manufacture is carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £141. Patron, the Vicar of Mirfield. The church was built in 1846. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.

Additional information about this locality is available for Mirfield

Upper Hopton through time

Upper Hopton is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upper Hopton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upper Hopton, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25779

Date accessed: 27th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Upper Hopton ".