Place:


Quarrendon  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Quarrendon like this:

QUARRENDON, or Quarrington, a parish in Aylesbury district, Bucks; 1¾ mile N W of Aylesbury r.station. Post-town, Aylesbury. Acres, 2,080. Real property, £4, 318. Pop., 58. Houses, 14. The man..or belongs to J. Du Pre, Esq. Nearly all the land is devoted to grazing. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Bierton, in the diocese of Oxford. ...


There is no church. A splendid chapel was erected here in 1392, by John Farnham; contained fine monuments and altar-tombs of the Lee family; and is now reduced to remains of a beautiful decorated English window, and a few roofless arches.

Quarrendon through time

Quarrendon is now part of Aylesbury Vale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aylesbury Vale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Quarrendon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Quarrendon, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2558

Date accessed: 18th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Quarrendon".