Place:


Stocks in Bowland  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stocks in Bowland like this:

DALE-HEAD, a chapelry in Slaidburn parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 6 miles NN W of Chatburn r. station, and 7½ N by W of Clitheroe. Post town, Slaidburn, under Blackburn. Statistics, with the parish. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Slaidburn, in the diocese of Ripon. The church is very good.

The location is that of the village of Stocks in Bowland, as named somewhat illegibly on our nineteenth century First Series map. The site of the village was flooded in the early 1930s by the construction of the Stocks dam and reservoir. Dalehead was and is the name of the valley, as well as the chapelry. Additional information about this locality is available for Easington

Stocks in Bowland through time

Stocks in Bowland is now part of Ribble Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ribble Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stocks in Bowland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stocks in Bowland, in Ribble Valley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25512

Date accessed: 25th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stocks in Bowland ".