Place:


Oscott  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oscott like this:

OSCOTT, a village in Perry-Barr township, Handsworth parish, Stafford: 4 miles N of Birmingham. St Mary's Roman Catholic college is here; was founded in 1794, for both religions and secular education; was re-built in 1840, after designs by Pugin, at a cost of nearly £60,000; is a large cruciform edifice, of brick with stonedressings, and with a central tower and spire; and contains a chapel, oratories, refectories, dormitories, and other apartments.

Additional information about this locality is available for Perry Barr

Oscott through time

Oscott is now part of Birmingham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Birmingham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oscott itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oscott, in Birmingham and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25505

Date accessed: 28th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oscott ".