Place:


Newton  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton like this:

NEWTON, a township in Croft parish, Hereford; near the Leominster and Kington railway, 4 miles N W of Leominster. Acres, 507. Pop., 100. Houses, 18.

Although the Imperial and Bartholomew gazetteers both have separate entries for the Newton near Hope-under-Dinmore and the Newton within Croft parish, suggesting these were two different places, the Croft entry in The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales (1894-5) is clearer: "[Croft] includes the township of Newton, which is 8 miles S of Croft" (http://www.uk-genealogy.org.uk/england/Herefordshire/towns/Croft.html, accessed 5th Sept 2012).

Newton through time

Newton is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2543

Date accessed: 27th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newton ".