Llech Fraith  Carmarthenshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llech Fraith like this:

LLECHFRAITH AND LLECHGRON, two hamlets in Llanegwad parish, Carmarthenshire; 7½ miles E of Carmarthen. Real property of Llechfraith with Miros, £1,553; of Llechgron, £1,428. Pop. of the two hamlets, 204 and 254.

The location is at the junction of the Cloidach and Cothi rivers, about a mile to the north west of Llanegwad church. The only basis for this location within the parish is this statement: "Llechfraith. A spot at the confluence of the rivers Cloidach and Cothi is said to have been the site of a chapel" (, accessed 14 Nov 2011), so more authoritative information would be welcome. Note that the chuch marked on the map here is Holy Trinity, built in the nineteenth century as a chapel of ease to Llanegwad and with no apparent association with the name "Llech Fraith". Additional information about this locality is available for Llanegwad

Llech Fraith through time

Llech Fraith is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llech Fraith itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llech Fraith in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 29th May 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llech Fraith".