Goodwood  Sussex


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Goodwood like this:

GOODWOOD, the seat of the Duke of Richmond, in Sussex; 3 miles NE of Chichester. The property is thought to have taken its name from a Saxon owner, Godwinns, who continued to retain possession at the Conquest; it passed to the Percys and the Comptons; and it was purchased, about 1720, by the first Duke of Richmond. ...

The mansion was designed by Sir William Chambers, and completed by Wyatt; consists of a centre and two wings, on four sides of a hexagon; has a hexastyle Doric portico at the entrance, and several towers at the angles; and contains a rich collection of pictures. The grounds comprise about 2, 000 acres, possess much beauty, and command fine views; the dog kennels, . once of great note, have been converted into cottages; the stables are famous for their complete appointments; and a race course, about a mile N of the mansion, annually attracts the elite of the sporting world.

Additional information about this locality is available for Boxgrove

Goodwood through time

Goodwood is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Goodwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Goodwood, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 17th August 2022

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Goodwood ".