Place:


Scremerston  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Scremerston like this:

SCREMERSTON, a township in Ancroft parish, and a chapelry partly also in Tweedmouth parish, Northumberland. The township lies on the North-eastern railway, 3½ miles S S E of Berwick-upon-Tweed; and has a r.station. The chapelry was constituted in 1844; and its post town is Berwick-upon-Tweed. Rated property, £4, 357. Pop., 1, 227. Houses, 214. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £160.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of D. The church is ancient and good.

Additional information about this locality is available for Ancroft

Scremerston through time

Scremerston is now part of Berwick upon Tweed district. Click here for graphs and data of how Berwick upon Tweed has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Scremerston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scremerston, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25269

Date accessed: 24th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Scremerston ".