Place:


Eccleston  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eccleston like this:

ECCLESTON, a village, a township, and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The village stands on the river Dee, near the Chester and Shrewsbury railway, 2¾ miles S of Chester; is a pretty place; borrows beauty from the Marquis of Westminster's neighbouring seat of Eaton Hall; and has a post office under Chester. ...


The township includes the village. Real property, £2, 112. Pop., 267. Houses, 49. The parish contains also the township of Eaton. Acres, 2, 402. Real property, £4, 186. Pop., 349. Houses, 64. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Westminster. Eccleston hill commands a fine prospect. The parish is traversed by Watling-street. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £403.* Patron, the Marquis of Westminster. The church was built, in 1808, by Earl Grosvenor, after designs by Pordon; is a handsome structure, with lofty pinnacled tower; and contains the family tombs of the Grosvenors. Charities, £14.

Eccleston through time

Eccleston is now part of Chester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eccleston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eccleston, in Chester and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2517

Date accessed: 23rd May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eccleston ".