Place:


Knotty Ash  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Knotty Ash like this:

KNOTTY-ASH, a chapelry in Walton-on-the-Hill parish, Lancashire; ½ a mile N of Broad-Green r. station, and 4 E of Liverpool. It has a post office under Liverpool, and a police station. Pop. in 1861, about 1,800. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Salisbury. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, not reported.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is modern, in the later English style; and contains 900 sittings. There are national schools.

Additional information about this locality is available for Walton on the Hill

Knotty Ash through time

Knotty Ash is now part of Liverpool district. Click here for graphs and data of how Liverpool has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Knotty Ash itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knotty Ash, in Liverpool and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25110

Date accessed: 09th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Knotty Ash ".